"Bludgeoning hard times with a rolling pin"

"Bludgeoning hard times with a rolling pin"

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

A little customer appreciation over here, please?

This is not a photo of me :-)

Why won't that one big box behemoth at least pretend to care about its customers? I don't like to dwell on the negative, but today's occurrence will be life altering for me. So, dwell I must.


I was checking out at the garden center cash register. My total only came to about $12 and I paid cash--a $20 bill. The cashier gave me my receipt but no change (this isn't my gripe).


I asked him for my change and he said, "Sorry, you're right." And he gave me my change. No big deal. It happened quickly...in the time it would have taken him to sneeze and for me to say, "bless you." There definitely was no argument, no scene, no scuffle of any sort.


The door "greeter" was stationed a mere 10 feet away. There were only a handful of people in the general area. As there was nothing else going on, the "greeter" most likely witnessed our quick transaction.


On my way out the door, the "greeter" asked to see my receipt. Of course, I complied. As I walked to the car, I got angrier and angrier. On top of the store not giving me my change, they implied it was probably my fault. That's how it felt to me and that's probably how it looked to anyone paying attention.


The customer behind me did not get her receipt checked--this made me even angrier. Why me? Why did they neglect to give me my change and then imply I was the criminal? How dare they!


When I got home, I called the store.

The manager told me the "greeters" are instructed to randomly check receipts. They don't do it to everyone. I told the manager it is much worse to randomly check receipts as it makes those who must stop appear suspicious.

She said she would talk to the "greeter." I told her I didn't blame the "greeter" at all as it seemed she only did as she was instructed. I also told the manager I realized the corporation was too big to really care about customers and I'm sure I didn't matter to her one bit, but...

I refuse to shop where I'm treated as a criminal.

I shall not support that store or any of their world-wide locations from this point forward. It will be a challenge. I will cook from scratch and search bargains from locally-owned groceries. Things I should have been doing anyway.

I know I shouldn't take this personally. But I feel kind of stupid supporting a store which doesn't give a whit about me, while the local store down the street is extremely friendly and gracious. And, by the way, I DO actually have a choice.

I choose to live better and not be under suspicion.

(I'm so mad I could spit.)

No comments:

Post a Comment