"Bludgeoning hard times with a rolling pin"

"Bludgeoning hard times with a rolling pin"

Friday, August 6, 2010

Life is imperfect. Participate anyway.

This quilt was handmade. Its imperfections make it a one-of-a-kind treasure.

I wrote the following a while back for a local paper; yet I still have to convince myself to live this way...

I love visiting historical homes but wish I could have seen them as they were being used. During daily life, wooden floors probably weren’t polished. There definitely were no "keep-out" red ropes in place.

Instead of viewing a still life (in real life), I would rather see what’s cooking in the kitchen and what’s hanging on the line out back. The residents were messy, unpredictable and inefficient, just like we are today. Dressing up their lives portrays a false image.

We do not have to be ready-for-show to do what we love. If we wait for conditions to be perfect before embarking on a project or fulfilling a dream, it will never happen.

We will never have enough money, time or the approval from others. So what? We are allowed to play, even if we don’t “perform” flawlessly.

Don’t listen to those promoting insecurities. Ultimately, in the very end, we are judged by our hearts, not by the orderliness of our lives.

What a relief.

Perfection is not the goal. You don’t get recognition for being perfect and it is incredibly dull anyway. Celebrate your individuality and get on with your passions.

I wish I could kick naysayers in the teeth sometimes (figuratively speaking) and write without reserve. Get out the guitar again. My life, my business. Ya know?

What have you been holding back on?


3 comments:

  1. You make some great points. I'm as a rule really unorganized and often not the neatest person in the world. I don't have company nearly as often as I'd like because everything isn't "perfect." I wonder how much I miss out on because I'm waiting for a perfection that's probably never going to be there. The imperfections are what give character!
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so, so, so true! It's so hard to let go of perfectionism ideals and just live in the moment without thinking about how it could be better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lulalola...having company over is something I struggle with as well. Why do we all have to be "ready" all the time? I believe this is where we women have let each other down. We need each other--even if we just get together in messy houses!

    mommablogsalot...Yes, perfectionism doesn't do us any favors sometimes.

    Thanks so much for commenting!

    ReplyDelete