"Bludgeoning hard times with a rolling pin"

"Bludgeoning hard times with a rolling pin"

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Temporal Mechanics? Maybe.


So, I was at the store the other day loading my groceries into the back of the car when I noticed her. She was about 75 years old and had red hair--obviously dyed.

She looked sincerely joyful, was wearing something colorful (borderline loud) and I thought, “Hmm. I wouldn’t mind looking like that when I get to be her age.” Then it hit me.

Maybe she was me.

You never know. What if…just what if…time travel is invented--sometime in the future, of course? Then humans just might be able to take a vacation to a different time period. Like instead of going to the Wisconsin Dells this summer, one goes to the Wisconsin Dells, 1945.

The idea doesn’t seem so crazy. After all, Fermilab in Batavia, Ill. has been working on particle beam physics for a while now. I don’t claim to know any more than that about the whole thing, except that time manipulation is thrown in there somewhere.

Fermilab is a Department of Energy laboratory, so I doubt they run it just for cool tricks in time travel. But, you never know.

There may be a “you got your chocolate in my peanut butter” kind of moment and then BAM. Temporal mechanics.

Now when I look around at people, even children, I think all kinds of deep things. What if my great-grandchildren decide to take a trip back in time to visit me, their dear Grammie, before I lose my hearing?

Next time daily monotony numbs you, get lost in a freaky daydream of time travel. It might not be fantasy after all.

Think about it.

(picture courtesy of www.designedtoat.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment